> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > EXCELLENT Points (That Made Me Think Some More ...)
Login | Register

EXCELLENT Points (That Made Me Think Some More ...)

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on January 25th, 2001 08:25 AM
In reply to Inspections by JackD on January 24th, 2001 11:11 PM [Go to top of thread]

Thanks Jack for following up on this. Your experience lends itself most excellently here.

Pat, as Jack says, what littly money you spend (comparatively speaking when you're also looking at what your home will cost you in 20-30 years), having an Inspector come back once or twice or thrice is money well spent. It didn't dawn on me until JackD brought it up that you'd want the Inspector to return AFTER the builder has made his fixes. This way, you get more peace of mind that your 'problems' were 'properly' handled. (As JackD's point alludes, a builder may take some shortcuts that, later on, may prove 'bad news'.)

WHen you have your Inspector come through, YES, as Jack also states, be sure the BOTH of you can do the walk-through. And when you 'interview' your prospective Home Inspector, tell them you want your Inspection Report ON-SITE, right there and then. In other words, you don't want to get your report 2 or 3 or more days later because, by then, it's possible the Inspector could 'forget' something he should have put in the report. (For sure, there are Inspectors that give the prospective homeowner on-site reports. You know, don't leave home w/o it ...) And when the Inspector finds something 'wrong', ask why it's 'wrong' and ask what the proper 'fix' is. This way, when you talk to your builder AND you say, "So how are you gonna fix it?", you'll be sure your Inspector's explanation is 'in line' with your builder's planned 'fix'.

I do have to admire Jack's mentioning that it's 'normal' to find a few things wrong with a new house. Sooooo, to actually strrrrreatch that note, I think it would be OK to say that if your Inspector DOESN'T find anything wrong w/the house, I'd be a bit 'concerned'. Remember, ask about your Inspector's 'background' when you interview him/her. (Do they have experience in the 'trades'? WHich one(s)? WHat made them want to become an Inspector? How long have they been inspecting homes? Have they inspected NEW homes before? Are they members of any professional organizations, and where can you 'read' about it/them? And so on ...)

Thanks again Jack. I'm sure your Post helped a lot. (It certainly added to my 'knowledge'.)

Jay J -MOderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC