> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Escutcheons
Login | Register

Posted by Henry in MI on September 1st, 1999 06:01 AM
In reply to Removing Paint from Metal door knob thingys by Jenni on August 31st, 1999 10:58 PM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

Hi, Jenni. I think that "escutcheon plates" is probably a term that would serve for these but my spelling may not be much better than my pronounciation.
Anyhow, you get paint off them the same way you get paint off anything else. Take them off by removing the knob assembly, look for any screws and carefully remove them being careful to get paint out of the screw slots with a small knife blade or a scratch awl. When they are removed, lay them down flat and apply a layer of a safe stripper like Citristrip and let them sit for 24 to 48 hours then carefully try to remove the paint with a small putty knife being careful not to scratch the metal. You may have to do this more than once. That should get you down to bare metal. Now the bad news--most of the ones I remember seeing were nothing more than stamped steel. They probably had a coat of lacquer on them to keep them from rusting but that was about it. Don't expect to find a jewel under the paint but let us know if you do. You will probably end up chipping the paint off the door a little so you might want to think about stripping it too. You might find the jewel under the paint on it and it would be better to strip the paint off the door and escutcheon plate before you try to remove the plate.

Good luck.
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC