> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Epoch Decking
Login | Register

Epoch Decking

Posted by Tim on September 25th, 2002 09:26 AM
In reply to TREX and composits by Greg on August 8th, 2002 08:52 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

I am in the middle of installing a deck with Epoch products. The EON rep had a sample deck at my local home center, but when I went into the home center to order my materials the next week, the counter person recommended I stay away from EON. He told me he has a deck building business, and he replaces EON material constantly. One problem with EON is it expands and contracts like crazy. Their website does a gap calculation, but it asks for installation temperature and maximum temperature. Well, if you're like me, you're going to install this in the summer when it's close to the maximum temperature, so the gap calc will tell you oyu will have a gap of maybe 1/8". But when winter comes when it's close to 0 degrees or colder (I'm in the Denver area) that gap will probably closer to 1".

I'm very happey with the EPOCH product thus far. It installs easily. I pre-drilled my screw holes and drove the screws just beneath the surface, then hammered the mushroom of the material down, and the screw hole is very small. The material cuts easily, and it isn't as slippery when wet as I thought it might be. I really like the embossed wood grain on the material, which you don't get with TREX or RHINO.

I am disappointed with the pressure treated framing. I've had a number of pieces warp badly and had to replace them.

Best of Luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC