> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Enough Theory!! Time For First Hand Experience...
Login | Register

Enough Theory!! Time For First Hand Experience...

Posted by Dodgeman on August 10th, 2000 01:26 PM

On installing ceramic tile over particle board subfloor.
I have 1/2 inch plywood plus 5/8 inch particle board (total of 1 1/8 inch) over 2x10 joists with 12ft span. All the seams are backed underneath with 2x4 blocking, with 3 inch screws tying everthing together. This floor is solid, with a deflection factor of more than 720 at the weakest point I can find.
I was planning on using 1/4 inch Hardibacker over the top using Tec 345 or 390 thinset. Now the "Experts" at Hardibacker say I absolutely need to pull up the particle board and have a minimum total subfloor thickness of 3/4 inch osb or 5/8 inch plywood under the Hardibacker. They couldn't give me a good reason, other than "that is what we recommend"
The particle board is sealed on top, and I know the floor is stiffer than what minimum they recommend. (Minimum recommendation is 320 deflection factor by the tile mfg.)
I would like anyone with firsthand knowledge of what will go wrong if I go ahead and put down the Hardibacker and the 12x12 tiles over what I have.
Thank You in advance!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC