> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Enclosing an Outside Condenser on a Heat Pump Systsem for more Efficency
Login | Register

Enclosing an Outside Condenser on a Heat Pump Systsem for more Efficency

Posted by Dan Engebretsen on January 3rd, 2001 10:33 AM

1 of 2 people found this post helpful

Dear Bob:

I have a question and I was wondering if you can help.

I have a heat pump for my homes' central heating/ cooling system. Recently, my outside condenser has been covered with ice due to very wet & cold weather conditions and the fact that excessive rainwater was running off the eve of the house into the condenser. I realize that it's normal for the condenser to build up frost on the coils, but the entire unit was covered and the fan was making a terrible noise. I constructed a crude "lean to" using a tarp and managed to keep the water from getting on the condenser which solved the problem of over icing.

My question is; could I go a step further and construct a small shed around the condenser in order to not only keep moisture off of it, but to help it retain the heat it generates and use it to be more efficient? Ideally, having automated louvers open/ close as needed to control inside (shed) temperature although, it certainly wouldn't be an airtight room anyway. Since the air from the fan doesn't really go anywhere (e.g. not being sent into the house or someplace else), it would basically be recalculated until the louvers opened. In the summer, louvers would be fully open allowing maximum airflow while keeping direct sunlight off the unit. Do you think this is a valid idea or am I just fighting the laws of physics.

Best Regards,
Dan Engebretsen

Dallas, TX

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC