> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Electronic Air Filter (Oil Furnace) - Problem?
Login | Register

Electronic Air Filter (Oil Furnace) - Problem?

Posted by Doug G. on January 15th, 2001 05:58 PM

Yesterday I cleaned the electronic air filter unit in my oil furnace. Replaced the filter pads & put the unit back together carefully, and reinstalled it. When I ran the furnace blower to test, I heard a snapping sound coming from the electronic filter. Hmmm. I opened the furnace bay. Saw a static discharge (tiny spark) occuring in exactly the same place on the unit's middle panel which is sandwiched between the filter pads. The spark repeats every 5 seconds or so.

Now, I've heard the occasional spark-snap from the filter but never anything repetitive like this. I hope the repetitive sparking is from some contaminant or particle that I might have missed. I'll check the thing with a magnifying glass. In the meantime, I'd appreciate comments from anyone who's familiar with these electronic filters & has seen this kind of repetitive sparking before. For now I'll leave the unit unplugged, just in case there might really be something wrong with it...

Thanks much,

Doug G.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC