> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Electrical Wiring
Login | Register

Electrical Wiring

Posted by BobB on May 30th, 2001 08:54 AM
In reply to GFI on a 3-way ciruit ?? by Greg on May 29th, 2001 10:08 PM [Go to top of thread]

I hope I don't draw flames as everybody seems to be an electrician these days, but here goes.
1) At your source, (junction box) the black wire is the "hot" lead and is the only wire that should be switched. Both of the three way switches should be connected between the light and the black, source wire. The white wire coming back from the light is the neutral return, and it should not be switched. It is connected to ground at the electrical service panel. There are plenty of references to wiring a three way circuit. The ground wire is normally non current carrying and is bonded together and to every metallic junction box along the way.
2) You are correct in using UF cable and equally right using a GFCI. The ground conductor of this UF cable should be connected solidly to a ground cable at the source junction box. If it is, and you still read "open ground" , then the cable at the junction box is not solidly grounded, and you have to follow it back and find the open point to correct the situation.
3) Do not assume this is a false reading. Although you could check the tester at an outlet which you know is grounded to see if it is functioning correctly.
4) If you cannot trace this out, please call in a qualified electrician. I cannot over emphasize the importance of good grounding anywhere, but most especially out doors.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC