> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > electrical receptacle replacement question
Login | Register

electrical receptacle replacement question

Posted by Jules on June 10th, 2001 08:54 PM

Me again...I bet y'all will be glad when we're finished fixing up this house and safely moved in!!

When we were over at the house doing the floors, we realized that the electrical receptacles in most of the house were older 2 prong receptacles. I didn't have a circuit tester with me to see if they were grounded or not, but I'm wanting to play devil's advocate and assume that they are not.

So here's the problem...virtually all of the stuff we want to plug in, such as our computer and AV type equipment all have three prong receptacles, or at the very least, polarized two prong plugs.

Now, if the receptacles DO have a ground wire, no problemo, I've actually replaced receptacles before, and I have my handy-dandy repair manual to help me out, but if they don't, what can I do with all of our three prong stuff to be safe? As I've said before, this place is a rental, so doing anything that involves a lot of expense, repair personnel or cutting into the plaster walls isn't much of an option.

My brother, who is a construction type guy, is coming over sometime soon to give me a hand with stuff like this, but since I already have a trip to the hardware store on my list, I thought I'd see what y'all recommend before he comes over!

Thanks in advance!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC