> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > electrical outlet
Login | Register

electrical outlet

Posted by Kristian Magel on January 27th, 2001 06:17 PM

Today I noticed that my electrical outlet seemed to be "loose" underneath the metal plate. As a result, an app;iance I have has been shutting off when the cord is moved (moving the outlet beneath the plate).

I removed the metal covering plate, just to see if I could tighten something up. I noticed that the electrician who installed it (or the previous tenant of my apartment) seems to have supported the electric outlets from behind (to push them out through the plate for better access) with a 1) paper towel and a 2) plastic cigarette wrapper.

My question is two-fold:
1) Is it okay to have a paper and plastic remedy as described above? It looks like a fire hazard.

2) Because the movement is caused by the outlets not being as deep as the box they're in, what kind of outlets can I replace the ones I've got with? Or should I just place something behind them like the guy before me? What can I use?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC