> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Electrical Code Question
Login | Register

Electrical Code Question

Posted by Dave in NM on October 3rd, 2003 12:46 AM

I am tying to clean up the spaghetti electical wiring in my garage and need someone versant with home electrical requirements to calculate the size junction box I need to install. Into the box is the feed, off the load side of a 20 amp GFI receptacle, (3 No.12 THHN stranded .) Branching from this box, which also contains a 20 amp single pole switch feeding porch lite (No.12 NMB), are a circuit to one end of the garage (2 no.12 THHN stranded and a solid 14 THW ground), and another circuit to a receptacle on the other end of the garage which is two No. 10 THHN stranded and a No.12 standed THHN ground. The city wanted the bigger wire to that end of the garage because of the heat in the attic. All of the wiring is in EMT conduit save the short run up to the porch light. So let's recap: I have a box with a 20 amp switch, three 12's in, two 12's out with a 14 out, a 12 NMB out, 2 10's and a 12 out. And the switch will be fed with hot 12 pigtail. Whew. Question is, how much volume is required for this switch box. (Current box is 41.5 cu. in. ) Any help would be appreciated as the city makes the Dept of Motor Vehicles look like service at its best. ie, you can't get there from here. Thanx, Dave

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC