renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > electric floor heat cable - challenge for electricians!
Login | Register

electric floor heat cable - challenge for electricians!

Posted by Andy Lowell on October 14th, 2002 04:35 PM

Hi all,

Nice forum here! Ok here's what I think to be a challenge (although I haven't worked with this stuff before):
We've got here a 559 foot cable (Maxxon InFloor system) for electric floor heat that is now buried in mortar. the cable has thick leads on each end that need to be there. However, the entire cable was supposed to be buried and only 422 feet of it was - the other 137 feet or so of the cable dangles into the basement. This changes the resistance of the cable because it is not covered with mortar.
I am looking for a device to regulate the voltage (to make it 180 or 190 V. to go on a 240 VAC system). I believe this would give us the desired cable voltage (does this sound right to the experts?)
The wattage of the cable is 1889 (amps probably about 7.85?).
Bottomline: Need something like a Buck transformer in line with the system to bring the voltage down.

Any thoughts on what we could use here? The Buck transformer I was looking at was nearly $400 which is way out of budget now, is there anything else that will do this?

Many thanks!
Andy

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2014 Renovate Your World LLC