> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Elasto on wood
Login | Register

Elasto on wood

Posted by Mr. Paint on March 16th, 2003 09:13 PM
In reply to Elastomeric paint on a wood house by G Arca on March 16th, 2003 04:41 PM [Go to top of thread]

GVA......Painting hi-rises and wood houses are two different things.

Elastos are designed to stop water wicking through or water blasted against and getting through (as in a hurricane)stucco or block/brick buildings.

Do you have problems with moisture penetration though your wooden house? I don't imagine so. I don't remember any hurricanes in Vancouver.

You do however have a very damp - not terribly warm climate - mildew is a problem there I am sure.

Elastos mildew very badly. In order to be flexible like they are (to move with stucco and brick/block - not wood) they are fairly soft.

Because of this dirt tends to stick to them - as well as mildew spores. You would likely have a black house in fairly short order.

The attributes of an Elastomeric are of no benefit to you - and the drawbacks are considerable

I sold great quantities of Elasto for hi-rises in S. Florida when I lived there. I am very familiar with them. The work very well on a fairly narrow range of issues - but wood houses is not one of them.

I would recommend pressure cleaning your house - wait a 3-4 weeks for it to dry. Scrape anything left that is coming off. If you have more than 40% bare wood - prime the whole thing. If less than 40% - spot prime is fine.

I like Glidden products - I know there are Glidden stores in Vancouver and perhaps Home Depots too?

In any case - an alkyd primer for the wood - followed by TWO coats of a top line Glidden/CIL topcoat in a satin finish in colour of your choice would be the best thing for you to do in painting your house.

Mr. Paint

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC