> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Egress Windows
Login | Register

Egress Windows

Posted by Tom Seivert on June 28th, 2000 09:45 PM
In reply to basement windows by bc on June 23rd, 2000 05:55 PM [Go to top of thread]

I am wondering about a few of the same questions regarding an egress window. I want to put in two of them.

1) is there any standard for finishing the outside of the project? In other words, the pit, the block wall of the house? The drainage considerations for the pit area? Are there for this?

2) Also, in attaching the 2 by green treated to the block in order to form a frame, should that frame be flush on both the inside and outside of the house? Should it be flush on the inside with the block or the stud? Does the header need to be the same thickness as the block wall? Someone has told me that you need to refinish the cut blocks with "sacrete" in norder to have a smooth working surface for the attachment of the frame. Is it sufficient to simply use a concrete fastner (maybe that's what a tapcon is). If a smooth surface is required, how is that accomplished?

As a note, in Minneapolis, it seems to run about $300 for a contractor to cut the hole and leave the debris for the homeowner to remove, and $1500-2500 to have them complete the entire project.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC