> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ed's Right, And More ...
Login | Register

Ed's Right, And More ...

Posted by Jay J on February 8th, 2000 09:04 AM
In reply to My experience with it... by Ed Parker on February 8th, 2000 08:28 AM [Go to top of thread]

(A fine job, Ed, and for everyone's benefit ...) Again, the shingles are non-friable which means the only way a hazard exists is if you're creating a lot of 'dust' by dropping or smashing the shingles. Even though you're outside doing this work, don't think you're immune from any hazard. As Ed states, wear a mask, a long sleeve white shirt (to keep cool in the summer), and lose-fitting pants (to keep cool), and gloves. Actually, I wore 1 glove so I could pick tacks/nails and handle the tools with the ungloved hand. The gloved hand handled individual shingles.

There is about 1% asbestos in the shingles. When removing them, use a 'trim tool' or a very small pry-bar. Depending into what the shingles are nailed, you can even use a flat-head pair of pliers. Really, in short, do what you can to NOT break the shingles. That's where the 'risk' is. I borrowed some scaffolding for my 2-story home. It worked great and I was even able to move it myself all the way around 3 of 4 sides of my home. You can rent it fairly cheaply. I stacked the shingles on each of the 3 'levels' of the scaffolding, and just moved them down one pile at a time to the bottom, and wheelbarrowed them to my driveway where I stacked them until I was finished. My 68 year old father and 17 year old nephew helped me. We were done 2200 sq. ft. in about 10 hours over 2 days.

As for getting a 'hauler', like I said, what I did was stack the siding until I was done. AND, while I was feeling energetic, I stripped the roof of an addition that was about 3.5 squares in size, and I threw out some old crawlspace insulation so I could re-do that later. AND, when I was all done the siding job, THEN I ordered the dumpster. This way, it didn't sit on my lot where I had to pay fees for it NOT being used. (Plus, who knows what my neighbors would have thrown in it while we slept!) The day it arrived, I put the old siding and roofing shingles in it, the old insulation, the scrap vinyl siding, and other junk I had lying around the 'lot'. (An old bed frame, cement clothes line footings, a few stumps, rotted wood, etc., etc..) When my neighbors saw this, they asked if they could throw a 'thing or 2' into it. I said whem I'M finished filling it, give me $10 and throw in it what you want. I made $40!!! That helped defray the $375 1-week-minimum fee for the dumpster. You CAN'T fill it above the top rim because the law prevents that. Plus, they have to cover it when it's being transported. Oh, and when they set it on my new driveway, I had the driver set it on some 2x6's. Good ones because I didn't want any old ones to get 'crushed' by the weight. The boards were 4' long and helped distribute the weight of the dumpster so it wouldn't damage the asphalt. (He could have set that dumpster down on a dime!) One thing more - make sure you get a contract for your dumpster AND it states what the contents will be (in general). This way, there's no confusion as to what's in it and where it should go. It should state the price too, and how long you're gonna have it. It should state a pick-up date.

As I said previously, if you need more info in any respect, e-mail me directly. (This post could get burried very quickly.) My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: I had 3/4" gypsum board under my shingles!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC