> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Dynamite!
Login | Register

Posted by Jay J on June 25th, 1998 02:39 PM
In reply to Removing Concrete Pad by Erin on June 25th, 1998 01:52 PM [Go to top of thread]

Sorry, I couldn't resist ...

Seriously now, you'll need a jack-hammer and some strong arms, legs, and shoulders. A good set of ear and eye protection are a must. Once the pad is broken up into manageable pieces, they can be put into a dumpster. If you're gonna do the jack-hammering yourself, clean out the rest of the basement, attic, and garage of unnecessary junk so you can justify the cost of the renting the dumpster. Dumpsters are normally rented by the week, and after the first week, it's usually a lot less than the first week's price. Hey, you may want to think about selling 'space' in the dumpster to your neighbors AFTER you've put all you junk in it. Be sure you're clear to the hauler with what you're putting in it. Concrete, rotted wood, and brush may be OK but old fiberglass insulation, shingles, and steel may not. Be clear with the dumpster's contents, and stick to what the hauler specifies, and you won't be surprised with a different price when they arrive to take it away and tell you that you put unspecified 'stuff' in it!

I suggest that you rent the dumpster but hold off on its delivery until you've got the concrete (and other misc. junk) lined up to be put in. (And your neighbors have their stuff ready to go if you decide to sell 'space'.) This way, you tell the hauler to drop the dumpster off on a Friday and pick it up on Monday. This reduces the potential of kids playing in/around the dangereous monstrosity. If you have a nice driveway, see if they can put it in the street. If it's not allowed in the street, buy (or find) some 3 foot long 2 x 6 planks to set it on so the base doesn't ruin your driveway. In this heat, asphalt gets soft. If your driveway is gravel or concrete, I'd still put the planks down. You'll need at least 4 of them.

Best to ya and if you have to hire a contractor, I'd carry with you as much of this information as possible.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC