> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > drywell for puddling
Login | Register

drywell for puddling

Posted by rebecca on December 29th, 2002 09:36 AM
In reply to Installing a Drywell by Web Tileston on December 24th, 2002 09:24 AM [Go to top of thread]

8 of 13 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post:
> Dry Well Help by Handyman on 07/24/2006

These are a little work but not hard. Depending on the size of the "puddle" you my want to go with a five gallon bucket of a very sturdy garbage can or plastic barrel. Don't go with anything metal as these will eventually rust regardless and cause a hazard since someone could step on weakened bucket that is under the ground and "fall" in. Dig a hole large enough for the bucket to be six to 12 inches below grade. Cover the hole with building felt or landscape paper, which ever you prefer to afford. fill the bottom of the hole with large gravel or golf ball size rocks about 6 inches. Drill somewhat large (1/2" to 3/4") in random patterns all over the bucket. Purchase a small drain made for outdoor drainage at the hardware store, size will depend on how fast you want the puddle to drain and how large the puddle is. Be sure to pick up a piece of pvc pipe that will connect to the drain. Drill a hole in the BOTTOM of the bucket that is large enough to allow the piece of pvc to slide into it. (I recoomend using a one inch spade bit two or three times. the hole does not need to be perfect.) Place the bucket in the hole upside down. Place the Pvc through the hole in the bucket. Mark the spot were the PVC enters the bucket with a marker. Take out the pvc pipe and drill holes in the part of the pvc that will be INSIDE the bucket. The number of holes will depend on how fast you want it to drain. Put the pvc pipe back into the bucket's hole and fill the hole with more golf ball size rocks or large gravel up to about six inches below grade. cover the top of the gravel with building paper or landscape fabric. be careful to place it as close to the sides of the pipe as feasible. cover the paper/fabric with dirt.all you should have now is a pipe sticking up. Cut the pipe to the correct height that the drain is flush to the ground with any type of basic saw ( I love my cordless circular saw) and you are done! If the water still puddles, but not as much your "well" probably needs more capacity. It would be much better to build it too large, but this requires a very big hole when you are talking about burying a garbage can and I haven't even mentioned the fact that there could be large rocks inthe spot that needs to drywell, but I hope this helps.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Thread Closed
The Webmaster has closed this topic to new posts. Please see the “Most Relevant Post” as suggested by the forum Moderator or go to top of topic for a full history of this topic as it may have been answered. We also recommend searching other topics to see if your question has been answered or starting a new topic.

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC