> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Drywall tips
Login | Register

Drywall tips

Posted by Bruce Miller on August 16th, 1997 01:09 PM
In reply to Mudding and taping by Rick Huitema on June 4th, 1997 03:29 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Ron
Rick is right on the money. The most common problem I see as I help/talk to friends doing their own drywall is putting too much compound on and working it too much. After I put the mesh in the recess where the sheets meet, I put one or perha ps two passes of mud, making sure it is not built up above the plane of the wall. It will dry and shrink a little, but your subsequent sanding will be minimal, Your second pass should also be flush, using a wider knife (8 or 10" instead of the 6" you used first time). After drying and sanding, I then use a 12" knife and apply a slightly thicker coat. Depending on drying conditions and the behavior of the mud, this may be the final coat, with the finish a result of your ability to sand it flat.

Butt join ts will be a challange, particularly if you lay your sheets down sideways. There are a couple of ways to do these joints, but I recommend you NOT simply put tape over the butt joint, and build up mud in the center, tapering it out. I think this looks tack y. I put a 2X4 stud sideways behind the butt joint and screw both edges to it. I then score each sheet back about 2" from the joint and pull the paper off. Then using a Sureform Stanley plane, I V-groove the butt edges, put my tape in the now recessed are a and mud. A bit more work, but it looks much nicer.

Take your time and you'll get a great looking job

Best wishes

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC