> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > drywall or drywall
Login | Register

drywall or drywall

Posted by Henry in MI on September 20th, 2000 05:04 PM
In reply to Dry Rot Instrument by Cindy Katz on September 20th, 2000 10:28 AM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

Hi, Cindy. drywall or drywall is made from gypsum. Water bonds to gypsum by what is called "waters of hydration". In the manufacturing process for drywall, these "waters of hydration" are driven off by heat. If your drywall gets wet, the gypsum attaches to water and it expands. The only way to get rid of this attached water is to heat the drywall under controlled conditions in an oven.

I don't know of an instrument outside the laboratory that will check for the water except your eyes and your fingers. In the lab, you can heat/dry a sample and measure the amount of water given off. In the real world, expansion if the drywall would be visible on the surface and the product would feel more spongy than drywall that has never been wet.

You probably can look of a web site for somebody like U. S. Gypsum for more on this. You might try e-mailing them to see if they know of such an instrument.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC