> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > drywall in bathroom ceiling
Login | Register

drywall in bathroom ceiling

Posted by Mike on March 3rd, 2003 09:14 AM

3 of 5 people found this post helpful

Hi guys,

I am having to redo the ceilings in several rooms becaue the tape lost adhesion. In my bathroom, the ceiling looked good when I removed the popcorn, except for the area right above the tub. On one seam adjacent to the tub, the tape was difficult to remove. The drywall paper surface around the joint seemed to want to peel off when scraping. I also noticed in a few places the drywall paper was bubbling slightly.

I went into the attic to see if there had been any water leaking from the roof into this area. It appears dry up there, and there was no discoloration to the drywall from the top side. I'm guessing the problem is that the ceiling above the shower is absorbing water. This bathroom does not have an exhaust fan to remove the humidity.

There is a recessed light above the tub. The drywall around this light was kinda crumbly, and the drywall was pushed down in this area. I believe this is because of the way the light was installed, because the light is rigidly attached to a roof joist.

I've been to my local home improvement store and got a few ideas. I'd like opinions from this board.

One guy recommended I leave the old drywall and install 1/4" MR drywall over the existing drywall. He suggested I install light with a fan over the tub. The store did not have MR board.

I called a drywall dealer, and he said the manufacturer did not recommend using the MR board over a tub. He said it held moisture and had no way to escape. He recommended I repair the existing drywall, but apply a layer of good primer (Zinsser 123) before spraying texture. I mentioned I had some existing damage, and he said if I used a larger light with fan, I would probably end up cutting out the bad drywall anyway.

The last suggestion was by the drywall dealer. He said if I wanted a fresh surface, use either 1/4" or 3/8" standard drywall over the existing drywall ceiling, then apply a good primer.

OK, Pros, what do you think?

Again, thanks for all your advice.

Second, what is the best way of repairing the area above the tub. The drywall work is a little wavy and has some small places where the paper seems to be separating. Is there a better way to do this that is not a ton of work?

I also want to say that it is very difficult to get to this area in the attic. I can get to the center of the tub, but no closer because of the slope of the roof. I moved insulation back with a rake to inspect the top surface.

I'm open for ideas.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC