> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > drywall Hell
Login | Register

drywall Hell

Posted by David on March 12th, 2002 01:49 PM

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

After nine years of wondering why they put a cheap wood paneling half way up the walls in our kitchen, I took the challenge and ripped it down. Under neath was a mess of plaster so deteriorated that I broke through it and removed it. While I was at it, I replaced the aged insulation and updated the wiring. Whoever did the original job should be taken out and shot. Anyway, as the old drywall and plaster combination was lined with 3/4" frame (for plastering), I decided to leave that as is and put up double 3/8" drywall to match the original 3/4" depth.

I learned a lesson. Apparently one of the reasons you plaster is to make up for the imperfections in your studs. I've got such a hugh disparity in the top level of drywall that in some areas, the outside of the drywall sits 3/8" short of flush, and in other areas the drywall juts out as much as 3/8".

Here's the question. Should I remove the outer level of drywall and just plaster again or should I shave/build up the inner layer so the outer layer will be flush? Or is there a third choice.

Please tell me there's a third choice.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC