> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > drywall corner question - need answer quick
Login | Register

drywall corner question - need answer quick

Posted by Mike on February 5th, 2003 04:46 PM

This post is a follow-up to one I posted earlier. I need an answer quick.

I have an older house and the drywall corners in the stairwell between first and second story has lost adhesion. The corner was originally done with paper tape. I have had problems the drywall tape coming loose in other places, but in this case I think the problem may be more severe due to settling. The tape looks like one wall has shifted relative to the other.

What is the most durable way to make a corner repair. It is a pain to fix these seams. I had to build a platform on the stairs to stand on to reach the seams, so I definitely don't want to have to go back and redo them later.

I went to the home improvement store for ideas. They didn't have a drywall expert, but I got two different opinions. I'd like comments on what you guys think.

The store has paper tape with metal reinforcement bonded to it. The sales guy said to mud the joint, and apply this reinforced tape in the corner with the metal toward the wall. After that, treat it like regular paper tape.

Another customer said he thought the metal reinforced tape was weaker, because the mud couldn't bite into the metal like it could the paper tape. This guy, who stated he wasn't a expert, said to use regular paper tape, then come back over it with a layer of fiberglass mesh tape. He said that would be the strongest way to repair that corner.

How about it, Pros? What would you do?

I'm in a hurry, because the platfor I built needs to come down soon.


Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC