> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > drop ceiling in basement
Login | Register

drop ceiling in basement

Posted by Marianne on December 29th, 2002 08:21 PM
In reply to Drop ceiling installation in basement by Linda Campbell on September 17th, 2002 11:07 AM [Go to top of thread]

I put a drop ceiling in my basement several years ago and it was much easier than I thought. Lowes and Home Depot both have kits that have (believe it or not) good instructions. Basically you have determine the square footage of the area and then get the ceiling tiles (usually 2 X 2 or 2 X 4), the molding for around the perimeter, the main suspension bars (sorry I forgot the name of them) and the cross tees. You will also need hanging wire and bolts to suspend the main supports from the ceiling joists. I found it helpful to draw a grid on graph paper to caculate where the main supports would go. So for a room that is 12 x 12 you would would hang two 12 foot supports four feet apart (if you are using the 2 X 4 panels). The molding goes around the perimeter of the wall (use a level line to make sure it is level). When the molding and support beams are up you start in a corner and install a cross tee in the support beam two feet from the edge and the attach it to the molding, either laying it on the molding or using rivets to attach it. You should then end up with a rectangle that is 2 X 4. Your ceiling tile should then fit nicely. If it doesn't, they are easily cut with a utility knife. Continue doing this until all of the cross tees and ceiling tiles are in place. The center row is usually the easiest because if you measured correctly the distance between the two support beams should be the same. When you hang the support beams, you should leave enough space between the floor joists and the drop ceiling to be able to slide the ceiling tiles into their spots. I am not good at giving directions, but if you go to a home supply store, they have pictures on the directions that will be very helpful. I don't know how to handle the heat ducts (tiling them) so if anyone has any tips, I would be glad to hear them. Good luck! Marianne

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC