> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > driveway nighmare
Login | Register

driveway nighmare

Posted by Elaine on March 27th, 2003 08:40 PM
In reply to Advice please - problem with gravel driveway by David Wallis (England) on March 10th, 2003 04:54 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

I am bulding a house on a farm and the driveway was formerly a dirt road. I had an excavator cut in the road before it had thawed and stone put in so contractors could get to the home site. When it snowed (4 feet) last winter alot of the stone was scaped up along with the snow and and the rest sunk into the mud when the ground thawed. I then had to put more stone on and finally put down a 12 foot filter cloth to check the stone moving further into the ground. Put 3" stone on top and #2 stone on top of that. Heavy trucks couldn't make it up an incline so I put cr6 on top of that and on some areas of the half mile road. Because the road slopes downhill I put in slotted plastic drain pipes to take the runoff from the top of the drive and dug ditches for rain water to naturally flow away from the road. The excavator left me to figure this out on my own and the gravel people are not experts on the matter eventhough I have bought 20 trucks of stone from them ( thats about 20 tons on each). The road is soft and gives in some areas where the stone is not deep or doesnt have the cr6. I sent the bobcat back after ten days. I am afraid the delivery trucks will still have problems getting up to the building site when it rains.
I am looking into having tar and chip put in to end this nightmare. Any advice would be appreciated.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC