> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > DripRake edge & asphalt shingle detail help please
Login | Register

DripRake edge & asphalt shingle detail help please

Posted by Andy Green on January 16th, 1998 02:58 PM

I live near Aberdeen in Scotland, and am building a 10' by 10' timber storage shed which will have a felt tile (asphalt shingle) roof upon waferboard sheathing. I have never roofed a shed before.

I am building from an American plan which utilises galvanised drip edges for the gable ends and the eaves. My questions are as follows:

1. Do I glue the underfelt layer on to the wafer board sheathing?

2. The Gable drip edge apears to have two full length beads raised along it where the felt tiles sit over. Are these important? Do they prevent water ingress?

I ask, because every builders merchants in Aberdeen has never come accross such an item before and all I seem to get offered is, an aluminium angle with a raised channel on top of it for sliding something in to. Not quite what I'm looking for. I am having a devil of a job locating this item here, which is a pain as it probably is not particulary expensive.

3. Should the shingle tab panels be glued also, or is nailing sufficient?

4. How resistant will this type of gable detail be to winds.

5. Rake edge along the gable on top of the underfelt? drip edge along the eaves underneath?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC