> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Drainage System Design Resources
Login | Register

Drainage System Design Resources

Posted by Vince on November 29th, 2002 06:39 PM

The house I just purchase is 100+ yrs old, with no gutters. We have not had an extremely wet fall, yet my sump pump (which pumps the water into the back yard)runs every half hour or so. My theory is that the rain we do get, makes it's way into the basement only to be pumped out to the yard. Once the yard is saturated, the water just seeps back in to the basement and the whole cycle starts over again.

I plan to install gutters next spring and rout the downspouts into a perforated drain pipe system out further into the yard.

My question is this: Where can I find resources to determine the specs of this system- i.e. Calculations for the amount of rainwater shed per sq ft of roof, the total footage of the system req'd, will I need a catchbasin, etc. I would also like to attach the sump pump outlet to this system- the amount of which, I am hoping will be greatly reduced due to the gutters/drainage.

I am quite sure the size of the suystem is based on the sq footage of the roof. I know I will need to maintain a 1/4" per 1'-0" slope, be below frostline, use filter fabric and stone, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC