> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > DRAINAGE
Login | Register

Posted by Shannon Lombardo on March 18th, 1999 11:23 AM

My husband and I just purchased our first home. It is on a 50' x 181' lot (yes, long and thin). We live in a the historical town of Haddonfield, NJ (and they have very stringent laws when it comes to building on properties). Currently, we do not have a garage, but would like to build one - a 36' x 24' garage in the back of our property.
GREAT! You say.
However, the town states that only 35% of our property can be built on - ie. having a "perminent structure." With the garage, we can only have a 90' driveway. This leaves 60 ft. of driveway that we can not cement or brick or paver stone or stone (because the town conciders it a "perminent structure".) My husband is at the City Hall right now with our plans. The towns reason for the zoning law is:
1) drainage
2) "keeping the look of the town."
So - I'm hoping if we can come up with an drainage system to funnel water from out backyard into the sewer grate in the street in front of our house - they may let us put a full driveway in. But we need help.
I thought of running a pvc pipe down each side of the property. The PVC pipe would have holes cut in it to collect water. The pipe would be surrounded with stone. Would something like this work?
Our back yard sits lower than the neighbors now and the ground is always damp. In New Jersey, we have a lot of clay - not the best dirt.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC