> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Drain tiles
Login | Register

Drain tiles

Posted by John on February 3rd, 2003 12:25 PM
In reply to Drain tiles by Mike on November 11th, 2002 04:27 PM [Go to top of thread]

We want to remodel our basement but we have a large crack in the north wall and a small crack in the south wall. Of the three waterproofers we had inspect the basement, DuraShield, gave a thorough checkup of the basement, walls and floor. I told him about the cracks in the floor and that in the 10 years we've been in our house, we've had signs of dampness coming up through those floor cracks maybe 3 or 4 times. The cracks in the wall need to be fixed, to be sure, but the DuraShield man suggested that the dampness in the cracks and its indications point to the need to replace the drain tiles. The sump pump in the corner of the basement shows that the drain tile pipe we have now is clay and since the house is over 40 years old it's quitel likely the tiles are damaged. DuraShield recommended using the inside approach with a drain tile technology that they use. It's cheaper than excavating outside. My wife and I are conflicted. Although we know that water has seeped through some of the cracks in the basement floor we've never noticed them being damp more than a few times and never noticed them contributing to great amounts of water in the basement. In fact The biggest water contributor is still the cracked north wall and the worst the water accumulation ever gets are what you might describe as puddles . Are there any other professionals in the Libertyvile, Illinois are I can call to solicit their opinion or observations to either confirm or reject those made by DuraShield. I'm not saying he's deceiving us I just want a more objective opinion.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC