Here's what happened: I tried the "special tub" tools for removing drains and I tried Bruce's excellent suggestion for getting better leverage to no avail -- it would not budge. So I came up with use 1002 for the Dremel mototool and did a variation on RW CLark's suggestion -- i cut the entire lip off of the flange -- i figured this would get rid of some of the resistance and let me get at the threaded area. After trying to remove most of the ancient plumber's putty and after much effort going back to Bruce's suggestion with the Wrench and plyers, it finally broke loose. WHat a mess and I did end up chipping th tub aroung the drain flange -- but I think the chips will be covered by the new flange. Thanks for your suggestions and thanks Bruce for the tips on re-enameling -- I agree that proper preparation is the key and the biggest part of any job.