> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Drafts
Login | Register


Posted by JT on January 27th, 1998 07:35 PM
In reply to electric switches by Bob W on January 26th, 1998 07:02 PM [Go to top of thread]

Bob, you can go ahead and gasket the outlets, but
unless this is wind-driven infiltration, the only
thing you will accomplish is to move the draft
somewhere else and make it even stronger. If you
were incredibly diligent and took this to an extreme,
you could even succeed in back-drafting your fireplace
or combustion appliances (fortunately this would be
a hard level to achieve). There is a very simple but
vitally important concept to remember when dealing
with air movement in buildings: AIR-IN = AIR-OUT,
i.e. for each cubic foot of air that exits the house,
one cubic foot of air will enter the house.
Air would not be entering through the outlets if air
were not leaving somewhere else, most likely through
your attic. This is why the draft will be stronger in
it's new location. You will have decreased the leakage
area, but not the volume of required make-up air, hence
the velocity of the infiltrating air must increase
to make up the differance. So, you can chase the drafts
from outlets to windows, to doors, etc. or you can
plug the leaks where the air you paid to heat is
escaping, i.e. air seal the attic-floor/ceiling
boundry. For more information take a look at

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC