> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > double vapor barriers
Login | Register

double vapor barriers

Posted by Bill Winters on March 10th, 2001 11:02 AM
In reply to kraft paper vs poly by Harold Kestenholz - Hydronic Network on March 5th, 2001 02:38 PM [Go to top of thread]

On either side of glass roll insulation, there is a one inch edge of folded over Kraft paper that extends beyond the edge of the fiber glass roll that is used to staple the product to the stud. I prefer not to staple this paper edge to the face of the stud as it makes it more difficult to install the drywall. I usually staple this paper edge to the inside edge of the stud making the face edge of the stud completely visible. This also makes for a better seal or air barrier when installed this way. Additionally, there is an approximate 1 inch thick air pocket created between the kraft face of the insulation and the back of the drywall. My question is: When insulation is installed that has a kraft paper or foil face vapor barrier, does adding a 6 mil. poly layer on top of the paper insulation behind the drywall create two vapor barriers that may cause a problem? Remember also, that there is a one inch thick air pocket between the poly and the Kraft paper as descibed above due to how the insulation is stapled to the side face stud.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC