> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Door jamb repair
Login | Register

Door jamb repair

Posted by Henry in MI on February 22nd, 2000 04:57 PM
In reply to replacing part of wood door frame for new lock by Brady on February 22nd, 2000 02:54 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 2 people found this post helpful

Hi, Brady. If you have a good selection of tools, it is not too difficult to put in a "dutchman" to replace the section of missing or destroyed jamb. Basically, what you want to do is remove any stop molding that might be in the way then cut out a section with your power circular saw. Set the saw to cut at a 45 degree angle toward the strike plate and for a depth equal to the jamb. Make one saw cut above and one below the bad section and remove it. Buy a piece of pine equal to the width of the jamb and make corresponding cuts so it fits into the gap you created. Glue and nail the piece in, replace the strike plate, prime and paint.

The saw cuts can be kind of tricky. If you have any concern at all about making them, hire someone to do this part. It is a lot easier to worry about how you are going to pay for his time than to count your fingers after the cuts.

Good luck
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC