> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Door jamb damage.
Login | Register

Door jamb damage.

Posted by Henry in MI on April 1st, 2003 06:56 AM
In reply to glue by Tom on March 31st, 2003 09:15 PM [Go to top of thread]

My experience is that the wind blowing the door open usually results in pulling out a chunk of wood from the door jamb. If that happened, and for filling in the crack and as a glue for this, automotive Bondo or the 2 part Minwax High Performance Wood Filler are the answer. Use a plastic, throw-away putty knife for mixing the filler and do your best to force it into the crack. Replacement of missing wood may require s couple of layers for a deep section. You can overfill and sand flat after and hour or so.

Yes, you can use the same holes for remounting the door return cylinder, but I prefer moving it slightly also. One tip is to use the biggest and longest screws that you can find to prevent further occurances like this but be aware that if you fix this real well, the other end of the cylinder may pull out of the door and be harder to fix. To prevent that, I quit using a return cylinder and just have a chain and spring mounted on the storm door. This lets the door open just past fully open and the spring arrangement absorbs the shock of unexpected openings. Your family will dictate which option is a better one.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC