> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > done it
Login | Register

done it

Posted by Chris on June 30th, 2001 07:10 PM
In reply to painiting kitchen cabinets by kelly coticchia on June 24th, 2001 01:26 PM [Go to top of thread]

Kelly, I just got done painting my kitchen cabinets white. They were a dark stain and the thing I would stress is prep work is everything.I should know, I ended up repainting them three times before I was satisfied with the results! Make sure you eliminate all the gloss of the old finish with your sanding. I would not suggest trying to restain them a lighter color as some pigmentation from the old stain and the acid in that stain will seep through and you will notice a reddish discoloring over time. degrease them , sand thoroughly,paint with an oil based primer (zinsser works well), sand again with a finer grit paper, tack them well to remove all dust particles, apply your topcoat. Use a catalized paint. What you are looking for is a very hard, durable and washable finish. I sprayed mine with an air compressor and paint gun. Some of the smaller ones, I had a paint company put the paint into aerosol cans and used that. I think you get a much smoother finish using spray than brush or roller. Hope this helps. Remember..wash, sand, tack, prime, sand, tack, paint.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC