> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Don't Think So ...
Login | Register

Don't Think So ...

Posted by Jay J on June 6th, 2000 08:05 AM
In reply to Termite treatment for slab foundation by Charryl Rudesill on June 6th, 2000 12:52 AM [Go to top of thread]

I wouldn't go dipping my finger into whatever-it-is and tasting it to see if it's not water. If you have mold/mildew, there are 2 things present: moisture and heat. You need to change the conditions.

W/O seeing where the water/moisture is coming from, I'd first take a look at your gutters and downspouts in a rainstorm. (Just put on some boots and a raincoat and carry an umbrella. Watch out for Lightening!) See if the gutters are overflowing and where the water is 'running' when it comes out the downspouts. If the gutters are overflowing, fix that. If the water coming out the spouts is running BACK towards the foundation, you need to fix the sloping. (That goes for ALL around the house. You need POSITIVE sloping; NOT negative sloping.)

Termites LOVE the conditions you describe. What you had done, in my opinion, was have a bandaid put on a bleeding wound. No termite prevention is total. They love the moisture and conditions. Also, trim your trees and bushes around the house. Bushes shouldn't be growing within 2' of the foundation. Remove, move, or trim them. Let the sun in and allow air to move freely around the ENTIRE house. If you increase the temperature or dry out the conditions under which termites thrive, you'll do much better. To understand termites, BECOME ONE in your mind!!!

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC