> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Don't think it's asbestos...
Login | Register

Don't think it's asbestos...

Posted by Chris on November 14th, 2000 08:01 AM
In reply to What were they thinking? by bc on November 13th, 2000 07:36 PM [Go to top of thread]

...because I remember the stuff on my parents' first house. It was hard and came in "shingles" about a foot or two long. I remember it being grooved. This stuff is more like a 1/2" to 3/4" of tan paperboard material with an asphalt coating on the top. I plan on working wet and cutting out a small chunk to send to a NIOSH approved asbestos lab for testing. I think that a lot of this coverup work was done for ease of maintenance. On the interior wood, which I am killing myself to strip, some places have less shellac under the paint than others. Could be that they didn't know what to do to refinish it so paint was the easiest. On the exterior, I'm thinking that previous owners figured that these sidings were easier to maintain than painted cedar shake. Like I said, there is only one coat of paint under it all. It would have to have been pushing 50 years by the time the first siding went up. As for the vinyl, it was pretty much done as quickly and as cheaply as possible because the real estate agent back in 1987 apparently wouldn't list it without a new siding. It was that ugly.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC