> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Don't mess with Texas!
Login | Register

Don't mess with Texas!

Posted by Jim -ATS on March 14th, 2000 01:26 PM
In reply to Proper construction REQUIRES gutters? by Gutterless on March 14th, 2000 07:59 AM [Go to top of thread]

I appreciate your comments regarding construction techniques as they relate to your area of Texas. However, the original poster on this issue specifically relates a problem regarding water penetration into his crawlspace.
1. I doubt there are many crawlspaces in your area of Texas.
2. Water penetration resulting in structual rot is not an issue likely to happen in your area of Texas either.

I live in Seattle. Here, and anywhere else where there is a "normal" amount of humidity and wet weather we require a thing called gutters, and another thing called downspouts which then direct the water into storm drains or splash blocks which direct the water AWAY from the foundation. The fact that this house had no gutters for 12 years is in fact a very serious problem, and the house is now in jeapordy. The fix, replacing structural members under the home, could run into the tens of thousands of dollars. If the soil beneath the footings is also undermined (soft) he will suffer damage due to settling, and the fixes for this are not cheap either.

For the rest of you who read this, do not ignore your gutter problems. They are there for a very specific reason, and the water they take away can be very damaging to your home. Make sure the water gets AWAY from yor foundations, and your crawlspaces remain dry. Also, don't store ANYTHING in your crawlspaces, most of these items will attract rodents or pests of other sorts and increase your problems.

The type of insurance I mentioned in my first post is not flood insurance, rather it is regular homeowner's insurance covering structural damage to a home and its contents. Many policies specifically will cover damage related to improper construction techniques.

See you on the board!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC