> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Don't Get Your Hopes Up Too High ...
Login | Register

Don't Get Your Hopes Up Too High ...

Posted by Jay J on August 24th, 2000 12:11 PM
In reply to redoing a B&B by mary goldstein on August 24th, 2000 08:16 AM [Go to top of thread]

Your idea is not the first time it's come up. I'll tell you straight up - The one getting the most benefit out of this type of project is you / your business. It's not like your project is one that's comparable to Habitat For Humanity, or something.

Sure, you'd supply the material and the craftsmen / craftswomen would supply the labor and finished product. Certainly, it has its merits. But you have to 'think' like a craftsman to understand why they're reluctant to accept your idea, (either totally or in part.) 1) A limited number of people are going to see their work. 2) When someone sees their work, what are the chances that they'll ask about it. 3) When it's asked about, what are the chances that they'll stop by 'the shop', let alone buy 'it'. 4) Those people 'seeing' the workmanship will most likely NOT be 'from the area'.

You're running a business which is different from people coming to your house to see 'local works'. In your house, you're more likely to get 'comments / inquiries' into the 'workmanship' than at a B&B, in my opinion. If you are giving tours, then you can say, outright, that 'this' is made locally by So-and-So. ... And if you'd like to buy it, or have 'it' made, that can be arranged. (And so on.) Now, IF you were to 'list' everything that's been 'donated' (in whatever shape and/or form) to your B&B in, say, your Brochure, MAYBE you'd get more interested people. THAT'S advertising, and may be worth a tradesman's time and $$$. You also have to figure that you may be limited in what your options are, as far as what's 'available' to you from your tradesmen. For example, you may want a dining room table that pulls out to seat up to 12 people. The tradesman MAY say he's only gonna give you one that seats 8.

Consider 1 of 2 things. 1) Plan out your B&B on your own. Be specific as you can and as detailed as you can. Then, pretend you're in your finished B&B, and see if there are any 'open' issues. Then, go to the tradesmen. 2) Do the same as in Option 1 but visit a local architect. Maybe they can hook you up.

I could go on but I think I've said enough. You have NOTHING to lose by trying. I'd just 'work it' such that you have some (or all) of the 'considerations' I mentioned thought-out BEFORE you go knocking on any doors. In short, you need to make this proposition WORTH their while! My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC