> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Doing it yourself -- How to tell
Login | Register

Doing it yourself -- How to tell

Posted by Zulu FixIT Boy on August 9th, 1999 11:29 AM
In reply to asbestos siding by alan on July 25th, 1999 06:08 PM [Go to top of thread]

Great question... I'm not an authority on the subject, but have worked with an asbestos abatement company in the past...

How old is your house?

During the 30s and 40s there was a popular product... it was a tile that is about 1 foot tall and 2 feet wide... many times it had a simulated (oak type) wood grain pressed into it. by now it's probably painted with lead paint and other stuff.

Easy way to tell.... take a flat screwdriver and scrape upward on the tile... normally asbestos tile will give up the paint layers easily and leave a downy white stripe under the tile. These tiles are easy to scrape a bit off... take the paint stripe.. and try to rub some of the white down off with a stick... asbestos fibers release fairly easy when confronted.

My 3 story Queene Anne is covered 40 feet up with the stuff.

After checking into a contractor team, found out a few things... my household insurance wouldn't cover any of the liability if it was moved... and the neighbors almost had a war over the idea...

How to fix it? I found an architectural junkyard with a hundred tiles... several were broken... replaced them... filled the small dents... primed... painted... and in biz.

I'm sure it's not the best solution, but the $100 vs $15,000 and liability made it easy for a smart person to decide.

Whatever you do... don't attempt to pull an over the weekend handyman (no permit) special... you'll end up very compromising position...

Hope this helps.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC