> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Do you have a pump house?
Login | Register

Do you have a pump house?

Posted by Jim -ATS on April 18th, 2000 01:44 AM
In reply to hard water treatments by Sandy F on April 17th, 2000 06:42 PM [Go to top of thread]

Is there a pump on your well, or is it artesian? (already under pressure) If you have a pump house, a softener would go nicely there. If you are going to only put it on the hot water side, do make sure it is BEFORE the water heater. The problem is, you will only acheive half the desired effect, unless you can somehow stand to take a shower in water that only comes from the water heater, OUCH!

Softened water makes your shampoo work better, lather better, and rinse off faster. My guess is that between soap costs and hot water costs, your softener will be at least a little subsidized by your savings on those issues, not to mention how much easier it is to clean the bathtub and shower of the soap scum, which is unbelievable with hard water compared to soft.

Personally, I'd do the whole system. Get a bunch of quotes from every plumber you can find. I'll bet you find someone with some good ideas on how to save you a few pennies. Just don't look at it in terms of up front cost alone. Look at the long term cost vs the benefits of doing the whole system...

Good luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC