> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > do it yourself
Login | Register

do it yourself

Posted by Mary's Son on August 28th, 2000 05:19 PM
In reply to Swimming pool finish work by Mary on August 24th, 2000 06:00 AM [Go to top of thread]

Here's what I know about this pool.

The pool is 22'X34'X4' The pool is two foot in the ground and back filled about two foot.
The cement slab for the floor was poured 5.5 inches thick with a 3500 lbs psi mix. There is 1/2 inch rebar on 18 inch centers throughout the floor. This rebar was suspended 2.5 inches off the ground when the concrete was poured. There is also 1/2 inch rebar around the edge of the floor to tie the walls to the floor. The drain for the pool was set in to a form before the concrete was poured. The surface of the floor was scratched in a cross hatch design to help the "finish" stick to the pool.

The walls of the pool are made of cement block. Every four foot there is a vertical concrete beam with rebar that ties to the rebar mentioned above in the floor. The top layer of blocks are lintel "U-shaped" which are poured full of concrete and have -doubled- 1/2 inch rebar throughout. In the walls there are four returns and one Baker skimmer. These discharges where positioned about 1/4 inch out from the wall to allow for the cement plaster to seal the inside of the pool. Two of the returns are along the bottom of the pool to help prevent vacuuming the pool so much (since that would be my job). They can be directed towards the drain. The others are positioned to help the prevailing winds push the leaves toward the skimmer.

The outside of the blocks where sealed with a cement and water mixture that was rolled on before the backfilled dirt was put in. The steps were poured individually. The bottom step is 12" X 6' (quarter circle since the steps are in a corner of the pool). The other four steps progress from there.

Getting to the finishing touches... I have talked to a local swimming pool installer who, from the start, said that this design would work. But they offer to finish the pool instead of offer information on the correct mixtures of marble dust and cement.

If anyone knows the specific mixture ratios that would be helpful.

I also have a question about the waterline tiles. Should they be grouted in before or during the cement plaster.

Sorry about my mom, she gets a little frustrated with the computer. She was trying to inquire about an episode of HOME AGAIN where a pool was being installed. But let's hear for the DO-IT-YORSELFers. We've come this far and I don't intend on turning the pool structure into a basement anytime soon... Yeah Baby!!!

Well I gotta go... We are forming up the deck that surrounds the pool. It will be concrete also.

thanks for reading

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC