> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > diy tips
Login | Register

diy tips

Posted by Roto Rooter on February 21st, 2001 09:43 PM
In reply to plumbing sinks by bc on January 29th, 2001 02:45 PM [Go to top of thread]

Current plumbing code says that these potable water fixtures need to have their own shut off valves. In other words you need to have angle stops at the wall on either side of the pedestal. As long as you are not moving the sink left or right on the wall you do not need to move the supply lines. Check out other peoples plumbing when you go out. Everyone has those shut off valves exposed, as long as they are done neatly they look fine. The biggest problem that I see you having with the installation is mounting the bowl securely to the wall. I insist on mounting a cross brace between the studs and mounting the sink to that (or at least mounting the bowl to the existing studs). I don't like to use toggle bolts for this kind of work because everybody leans on a pedestal bowl and six months after your installation you are going to have to re-mount the sagging bowl. This is the only reason that I like vanity cabinets. They add stability and hold up that weight load, but on the other hand, I think their ugly. Go for the pedistal if you can. Any DIY book at the local hardware store should get you through most problems. Remember, righty tighty-lefty loosey.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC