> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Diverter Valve
Login | Register

Diverter Valve

Posted by Henry in MI on August 26th, 1998 08:36 AM
In reply to faucet located on the bathtub by Gordon on August 25th, 1998 06:30 PM [Go to top of thread]

The valve that determines whether the water will go to the tub faucet or the showerhead is called the diverter valve. Yours probably just needs a new gasket and possibly a new seat. The problem is that there are so many different kinds made by so many different manufacturers that it would be impossible to cover them all. On mine, you unscrew the phillips head screw (some are under caps) for the handle and remove it after shutting off the hot and cold water lines. Using a plumbers socket wrench (big, deep sockets with different sizes on each end and 4 to a set) and screwdriver (thru the holes in the socket wrench, remove the valve stem. Be sure you get on the biggest hex nut surfaces as the smaller one is for the stem packing. Using a seat wrench (L shaped with square and hex ends) remove the seat. Take the whole mess to a plumbing store and ask them what parts you need to replace. Unless the whole stem is shot, none are expensive. The tools are not expensive either and you can get them at the home center and you will need them for the hot and cold valves someday also. Reverse the process to reassemble. Go drink a pop then take a long, hot shower to test your work.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC