> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ditra/plywood/cement board
Login | Register

Ditra/plywood/cement board

Posted by pam on October 6th, 2002 07:02 PM
In reply to Ditra/plywood/cement board by Dave W. on October 6th, 2002 09:00 AM [Go to top of thread]

Thanks for your comments, Dave. I'm not sure, but I believe the tile is about 1/4" thick. It's Daltile, if you're familiar with that. I think they would use regular mortar over the plywood. One tile center recommends the Ditra, but plywood as the next choice; they say the cement board can crack, and that it adds a great deal of weight vs. plywood. Another tile center, as well as our building contractor, recommends cement board; they say it allows less movement than plywood. We used plywood in a sunroom about six years ago, and never had a problem. But since our builder isn't too keen on plywood, it's tough to go against his recommendation - although he won't be doing the installation! Incidentally, I think the base is 3/4", not 5/8" (it's Advantec). We're building in central Maine. Sounds like you use plywood more frequently; how does the thickness of the tile affect your decision? Thanks again. Pam

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC