> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Disconnect
Login | Register


Posted by Billhart Moderator on September 20th, 2007 01:41 PM
In reply to ??? switch by Unregistered-RocketScientist on September 20th, 2007 01:15 PM [Go to top of thread]

Code allows one to use a cordset on a DW and plug it into an accessable receptacle (usually under the sink).

that forms a disconnect.

That is probably the most common method.

But in some areas practice or local amendments require hardwiring.

Code requires a local disconnect.

You can also use breaker in the panel if the person servicing the appliance can "lock" the panel or the breaker to make sure that it stays off.

That is heavly enforced in industrail settings and if the breaker/panel is not locked can lead to injury or death.

In residents often all that is done to put a tape and warning on the breaker.

As to the orginal question. Look at the label on the DW.

If it is less than 15 amps and if the horspower rating (if it has one) is equal or less then the HP rating on the switch then you can use a 15 amp switch.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC