I am trying to change my regular switch to a dimmer in our dining room but can't seem to figure it out. Before there was a simple light switch with a red wire, two black wires and two whites (which were capped). My dimmer had two blacks and a green. I wired blacks to black as instructed and red to the green wire on the dimmer and left the white capped wires alone and the dimmer worked beautifully until I realized the microwave on the opposite side of the wall was now not working. I've tried numerous combinations and it kills me that I can't figure this out. Everything was working once for about a minute and then after I screwed the top bracket back in I heard a pop and the dimmer did not work. I rechecked wiring and all were still intact. Does any one have any ideas?. House was built in the 60's. It seems ridiculous to call an electrician for this.