> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Dig basement under existing house?
Login | Register

Dig basement under existing house?

Posted by Jon on January 31st, 2001 01:02 PM

7 of 11 people found this post helpful

I have a split level house built in 1969. Under the middle level, which is the dining room-living room- and kitchen, is a crawl space. This space is 44"high measured from the concrete floor to the bottom of the joists. It is like a basement for children only; full concrete floor, and block walls. I am not sure why the people didnt go all the way to a full depth basement, which I guess would only be another 4' deep. My house is the only one I know of in my development that doesnt have a basement. My question is, how do I make the crawl space into a full basement without getting into lifting the whole house and building a foundation under the existing wall? Im thinking maybe the footings are deep enough, beyond what is visible (the 44"), which is at grade level to allow me to dig out the floor and pour concrete to the same level as the bottom of the footings (I live near Phila, Pa) not sure what frost line is. Do I build a wall inside the existing footings another 4'deep? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jon

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC