> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > depends on your wallet....
Login | Register

depends on your wallet....

Posted by BEG on January 12th, 2000 04:10 PM
In reply to Old Farm House Renovation - Appropriate Counter Top Material by Melissa Mack on January 12th, 2000 12:15 PM [Go to top of thread]

Here it is, and I hope others come in with their history lessons, too, cuz I am not old enough to remember everything. I called my interior designer friend and together we came up with the following scenerio..........

First, you are right with the bead board. The walls would have been painted "apple green" and the cabinets would have been an ivory color. The counter tops back then were butcher block. They rotted out, of course, so you would have covered them with the newest material known to man...........linolium........probably white........edged and trimed in aluminum. The flooring would have had this modern matrial also, only the linolium would have been "quarry" tile looking and you can still get it in vinyl....the oldest pattern still in production. They would have had copper then, but it was so cheap that they would have kept it in the laundry area cuz 'no one' would have it out for everyone to see.

The counter tops were also covered in soap stone. You could think about that corian (grey) and not be too far off.

Stainless was in existance too, called Monell. But not too common.

Porcelain sink.
Apple green could use "almond".

And,last but not least, window curains, tulips with two little dutch kids smoothin'. Probably with yellow trim.

Now, these items are mid western, but they were pretty common thru out the USA. I hope this helps you.

wall color-apple green........counter tops-butcher block or white or soap stone..........cabt color-ivory" (Montgomery White is close).......floors-quarry tile linoleum.

Have fun.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC