> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > depends on your budget also
Login | Register

depends on your budget also

Posted by Steve: on January 21st, 2002 10:56 PM
In reply to Hardiplank vs. CertainTeed Vinyl Siding by Lisa on January 21st, 2002 09:23 PM [Go to top of thread]

2 of 2 people found this post helpful

If your budget allows, I would vote for Hardiboard.

I like this siding because like conventional siding, to an extent, this is fire proof, insect infestion free, hail proof, and will last much longer than conventional.

But this does need periodic painting. It comes primed and with a wood grain look.

I have found that cutting this stuff is quite a mess and you are in a cloud of pulverized cement dust. But you the homeowner would never have to do this anyway. The fastening is also different, I have found that you cannot use a Pnematic nailer, you have to pre drill the holes and then counter sink screws specially for this application.

Now, this siding is truly for ever siding, you just need some occasional painting.

Now, siding, does have many good sides and one that still is ongoing. After many years, the colors do fade. Fading is more a regional thing I would imagine. I know here in Texas, I am painting more and more siding each year. Now, remember, this is older siding 20 years and older.

Earlier generations of siding does fade and loose its texture. Whether this will happen with newer generations of siding, no one knows.

In my opinion, I do not think that any vinyl siding will last as long as hardiboard. Then you can change the color if you like later on.

So, there are both sides to this, as you can see Jason is on the other side of the fence.

Good reasonings.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC