> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > depends
Login | Register

Posted by bc on October 17th, 2000 11:50 AM
In reply to Snowthrower decision by Craig M on October 16th, 2000 12:33 PM [Go to top of thread]

It depends upon if your average snow is dry and light or wet/moist and heavy. With heavy deep snow, you may want the bigger one. If your local street maintainer leaves a pile of hard snow/ice/slush at the edge of the drive, then a heavy one will cut through it better. Around here, you can clean the drive but the ridge from a grader turns to hard pack real quick and sometimes a pick has to be used on it. Electric start is nice and easy while new, but like lawn tractors, you'll be replacing the battery every couple of years or so and you have to keep it tuned up to start quickly anyway just like a rope start. I have a big sears unit. Had to put chains on it to work through a gravel drive which will throw rocks and dent cars, dent houses, break windows, and put people's eyes out. Haven't used it in a long time cause it was too big, heavy, awkward and hard to maneuver for little 4" or so snows. Also the tires tend to go flat during cold weather and when the bead breaks loose from the rim, you have to take them off to air them up. I've been looking at getting a smaller size one with hard wheels that is easy to maneuver. I also have a little electric one about a foot wide and it is worthless in heavy snow and slush. Good luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC