> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Deflection/sag standards
Login | Register

Deflection/sag standards

Posted by Bruce M on July 17th, 1998 10:31 PM
In reply to unlevel wood floors by Doug Israel on July 17th, 1998 08:31 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Doug
Yes, there are deflection and sag standards. The local building inspector should be able to help you here (he signed off on the finished work, did he not?), and if necessary, a residential structural engineer should be able to tell you exactly what the specifications are and assess your situation.

Most modern residential framing is such an overkill that unless you are storing large burgler-proof safes full of lead sinkers (for fishing) in the middle of your floor (or the equivalent), floor least in my experience, is usually not a big problem. Whether 1" of sag is too much will depend on the spanned distance....but there are a lot of variables to be considered. Assistance from a licensed structural engineer is probably what you need right now.

Best of luck to you

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC